*******************************

PLEASE NOTE THIS SITE IS RETIRED. THE CURRENT SITE IS HumanistContemplative.org


*******************************

Monday, March 05, 2007

A Question

"Since before your sun burned hot in space and before your race was born, I have awaited a question" -- The Guardian of Forever

Anyway, I have noticed that many of my best thoughts have been inspired by the questions and posts of others. I find myself writing quite a bit in response to these, and then suddenly have to look at a blank screen when it comes time to make my blog posts.

Therefore, I'd like to open the blog up to philosophical questions from readers. These can be quirky questions or serious questions relating to our approach to life and specific issues. They can range from analytical to more accessible philosophy.

Of course, I'll still post on other things when they come up, but if you folks send me some interesting issues and questions, then not only would it help inspire me but it would also ensure that this blog remains focused on subjects of most interest to you!

So please, ask away in comments to this post!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I've missed you on the Stoic Forum lately, I just came here to see if you're still around.

Here is a question for you: What is the best way to increase wisdom? Rote reading? To be able to apply wisdom, we must first know it, see it works, then we can own it, though repetition is the only way I know for that 3rd step. The goal being a fearless, tranquility, and freedom.

Best,
Matt

5:31 PM  
Blogger DT Strain said...

Hey Matt, good to hear from you and thanks for the question - having something to respond to REALLY helped me with posting. I've been awfully busy since taking on the presidency of my local Humanist group and looking for full time employment (instead of freelancing). So, haven't had as much time for the Stoic list unfortunately. I'm still on it and hope to return to posting someday, but simply can't spend much time in dialog these days. I've saved my blog as an exception :)

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in hearing your take on creating humanist rituals. There seems to be an innate human need to create ceremonies and do things that have a feeling of "sacred space".

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

i just saw your symbol! it seems can make awesome symbols or emblem, i noe this is from a complete stranger but can you make a good looking emblem for the word chaosreapers.. not dark or anything with a skull something that would i dunno like make stand out in the world.... lol i am feeling really weird doing this..

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can't be proven

I was going to post this on the stoic forum, but lately there are such varied views I thought I would just ask you personally since my views are similar to yours (atheist/agnostic).

I often get into debates, especially religious, where the point gets to someone saying "You can't disprove it, so I'll just keep believing it." My point is this: Lack of evidence, by default, points to non-existence, it does not give rise to limitless possibilities.

I can't disprove unicorns don't fly around Pluto, but it doesn't mean they're there.

I'm usually at a loss for words when people throw that argument forward. How would you deal with that objection?

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home